Saturday 5 January 2013

Punk Turkey


I have to thank Jamie Oliver for this recipe, and the plethora of Christmas Specials that he produces every year. Ok, I think that all the shows were mainly from years past, but I will still blame Jamie because this super amazing recipe is all his. Yes, it is a bit time consuming but I was able to easily spread it preparation over 2 days, so it didn't actually take that long to do. 

When I originally saw this on tv, I thought that it looked sooooo good that I would force my family to partake in this thing of beauty. 

I have a confession....I have never had Beef Wellington or really any Wellington at all. As a bit of a foodie I am sorry to say that before I made this I couldn't tell you what made up a Wellington. Now I am a convert. I am planning on making this again; Ideally I should have bought some more turkey breasts while they were on sale at Christmas, but alas I did not.

I would have written this earlier but I neglected to take my computer with me up to New Years (we were out of town) and posting on my tablet nearly made my head explode.

I actually followed the recipe, which is always amazing since I love to tinker but this was something completely new so I followed the direction mostly. I did pick up some butchers twine while at the grocery store but left it in the bag with the frozen turkey that went to the brewery's freezer so I had to improvise. Thusly my punk turkey is born. I used toothpicks to keep that filling in the turkey while it cooked. Once it was cool, I pulled the toothpicks out

Turkey Wellington

recipe by Jamie Oliver

1.6 kg Turkey Breast, skinlessSea salt and pepper
Olive Oil
Bunch of Thyme Leaves
Jar of Cranberry Jam or Homemade Cranberry Jam
25g Dried Porcini
6 Rashers Smoky Bacon, thinly sliced
3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
600g Mixed Mushroom, chopped
2- 500g packet Puff Pastry
1 Egg, beaten

Turkey
~Preheat oven to 350°F~Place turkey breast side down on the board.
~Gently slice into the natural join of the breast muscle to open it like a pocket.
~Season the bird well, and drizzle a bit of olive oil (I don't apply it quite as liberally as J.O. does. Sprinkle with half of the thyme leaves.
~Spread the jam, pushing it into all the nooks and crannies.
~Fold the turkey back into shape with the jam inside, using butcher's twine or toothpicks to secure the turkey like a roll. (When I did this some of the cranberry sauce came out, but that was ok.)
~Place the turkey in a roasting tray, rub with olive oil and season again with salt, pepper and the rest of the thyme, cover with aluminum foil and roast in the oven for 60-70 minutes or until the internal temp is 160°F
~Let the turkey cool.

Mushroom Mush
~Soak porcini mushrooms in a bowl with just boiled water, soak for about 5 minutes then stir with a fork to get any bits of grit to sink to the bottom.~In a large frying pan over medium heat, add bacon (with some oil if you'd like, I don't think I did) fry 5 to 10 minutes or until the bacon is golden and crispy.
~strip the leaves of 2 rosemary sprigs and fry in the bacon fat for 30 seconds and then remove everything from the pan, leaving the bacon fat behind.
~Add fresh mushrooms to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper. Reserve bacon and rosemary for later.
~Drain and chop the porcini, saving the water, then stir into the pan. 
~Add a splash of reserved mushroom water, avoiding the grit, then cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the pan starts to sizzle again and the mushrooms are golden, soft and sticky with caramelly edges.
~Add a nob of butter when the pan is dry and toss to coat.
*NB you can and put the mushroom mixture through the food processor while it is hot or while it is cool. I prefer doing after it has cooled since I don't like putting hot food in the plastic bowl of the food processor.
~Cool mixture
~Process in the food processor until you have a good mixture of smooth and chunky.

Putting It All Together
~Roll out 1 package of puff pastry on a flour dusted surface. It needs to be big enough for the turkey to sit on it with about 1 to 1 1/2 inches around.
~Place rolled pastry onto a lined jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with sides).
~Spread about half of the mushroom mixture onto the middle of the base to cover the same area as the turkey breast.
~Place the turkey breast on the mushroom mixture and spread the other half of the mixture over the whole turkey, packing it on and smoothing it out so the whole breast is covered.
~Sprinkle the top with the reserved bacon and rosemary.
~Roll out the other piece puff pastry, bigger then the first since it has to cover the whole turkey breast with enough extra to fold up the edges.
~Gently mold the top pastry around the shape of the turkey pushing the air out and seal the edges together.
~Trim the edges to around 1 to 1 1/2 inches, then pull, twist, tuck and pinch in the pastry like in the picture below.
~Brush the whole thing with the beaten egg.
~You can leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight or cook it straight away.
~Bake in an preheated oven set to 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until the pastry has risen and is a beautiful golden colour and the turkey is piping hot all the way through.
~Let it cool 10 minutes before carving








NB: The original recipe makes a gravy as well, I didn't make it but it looks lovely to make a gravy to go with it. I was lazy so I used the pan drippings from cooking the turkey breast and a packet to make the gravy. Plus, we had some left over mushroom gravy that my dear hubby made for a previous party.

End Note: Formatting these pictures has made my head almost explode, which was helped along by Ladybug, Rosie and the baby being very needy while I was trying to work on it.  Ladybug being 6 understands (mostly) about there consequences to inappropriate behaviour, not that she can think about that when the situation arises but is able to see that repeated bad behaviour tends to you being put in your room.  

Rosie being almost 4 does not see that her bad behaviour tends to put her in her room repeatedly.  I know that she wants some attention and that is causing her to push boundaries and try and piss off her sister.   

The baby is tired and has been over tired because his sisters have been waking him up from all his naps.  This has lead to an over tired baby and a frustrated mum, whose head feels like it will explode at any second.

No comments:

Post a Comment