Friday 10 August 2012

Blue Pie

My dearest husband brought home a giant box of blueberries the other day since we had a bunch of people including a bunch of kids, and what kids doesn't like blueberries (ladybug doesn't bit she gets that from my husband) so with no plans to use the berries they started to be very ripe.  In an attempt to used the berries I decided that pie was the best and tastiest way to used them.
I have never had a great time with pastry, it is an art and skill I have yet to master, although that would also assume I'm trying my hand at making it, but I'm not.  So I picked up a couple boxes of pre-made pie crusts and off I went.

Awesome Blueberry Lemon Pie.
4 cups blueberries, rinsed and dry-ish
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 of a nutmeg, finely grated
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
2 ready made pie crusts

-Pre heat oven the 425. Having the rack in the lower half to the oven
-In a mixing bowl mix together blueberries, sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon zest.
-Pour into prepared crust, top with butter.
-Wet the edges of the bottom crust and place the top crust on. Crimp the edges with a fork
-Place pie on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake 40-50 minutes until the blueberries are bubbly.  If the crust starts to bring brown to much cover loosely with foil.
-Let cool and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment